Oh eyebrows. The bane of my high school existence.
I remember the first time someone shaped them for me. They actually looked nice. And then I went home and butchered them, hair by little hair. At the thinnest point, they were almost single file.
The worst part about it? It was exactly how I wanted them: Angular and skinny. It took even longer for me to figure out how to properly fill them in, years in fact. And I have many pictures to remind me of this time, though happily, they now exist in the crawlspace of my parent’s home in Victoria, never to see the light of day.
My best friend and I had similar eyebrows. And because there was little hair to hold the product on, they were easily wiped off. We tried our best to protect our brows and protect each other’s brows. We would often run to the bathroom to do ‘eyebrow checks’ with each other after incidents with boys.
Most recently, (a couple of years ago), I began using Rapidlash on my eyebrows to encourage growth. I’ve been very happy with the results. Now when I have no makeup on, I actually appear to have eyebrows whereas they were previously so sparse that I felt naked without my ‘brows on’.
Many have asked what I usually use for my eyebrows so today I thought I’d share what I’ve been doing lately. I often experiment and change up products but there are a couple of products that I always seem to go back to. Oh and I know what you’ll be thinking…how did you take such amazing photos? Ya, probably not. Please excuse the quality of these photos as I was too impatient to wait for Shaun to get home to take better ones.
1. Bare eyebrows
2. Fill in brows using an angle brush and a light brown eyeshadow. I used a MAC #266 brush and MAC Cork eyeshadow.
3. Here are the brows filled in with just a little shadow. This may be enough for most people. I can’t ever seem to stop here though.
4. Next I used a very fine eyebrow pencil to fill in sparse areas and for more definition. My favorite two pencils for this are the Kevyn Aucoin The Precision Brow Pencil and the Diorshow Brow Styler Ultra-fine Precision Brow Pencil. Here I am using the one from Kevyn Aucoin.
5. I powder down my brows to soften them. I used MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural.
6. Finished brows!
Some of you may prefer less ‘done’ eyebrows. In fact I often try to do less, but being a compulsive perfectionist, I add a little here and little there and then I end up with what you see here. I do like they slight messiness of natural brows and I wish I could be okay with leaving mine a little messy but I don’t think it’s in my nature.
1. MAC #266 Brush
2. MAC eyeshadow
3. Kevyn Aucoin The Precision Brow Pencil *(Kevyn Aucoin products sold in Vancouver at Curlique boutique as well as Beauty Mark and beautymark.ca)
4. Diorshow Brow Styler Ultra-fine Precision Brow Pencil
5. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural Powder